Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Top Five Reasons to Watch "How I Met Your Mother"


This was submitted to Yahoo! TV on 9/17/10 for the assignment: What Makes Your Favorite TV Show Your Favorite? Since they never published it, I will!

Top Five Reasons to Watch "How I Met Your Mother"

Lovable characters, creative writing, and fantastic actors make "How I Met Your Mother" one of the best shows on television.

The hilariously good show “How I Met Your Mother,” usually starts out with a scene from a father’s perspective, talking to his kids about the crazy stuff he remembers from his glory days, before he met their mother. The premise sets up the stage for flashbacks involving lovable characters, and the top five reasons to watch “How I Met Your Mother.”

Connection
Realistic characters and their reactions to situations that I can usually relate to, make this my favorite show. It might just be that the cast is from my generation, but the characters on this show go through things that seem to be happening to me or my friends at the same time. The last time a show and I had a connection like this was with “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” (and I went through the same things, just with alive people instead of the undead).

Wouldn’t it be great to hang out with a suit-wearing playboy, a local TV news anchor, a lawyer, a kindergarten teacher, and a college professor at a bar called MacLaren's all the time? These characters make up the other top four reasons I love “How I Met Your Mother” (and you should to).

Barney Stinson
Now, some females may have a hard time with Barney at first. But remember, this show has been on the air for five seasons already, and for those of us that know Neil Patrick Harris’ character, there is no one funnier, or deeper, than the suit-clad, smooth-talking Barney Stinson. Watch the episode "Game Night" from season one to understand the evolution of Barney.

Robin Charles Scherbatsky Jr.
She is Canadian, both actress Cobie Smulders and Robin… but that’s no reason not to love her! I will never forget the first time I saw the Robin Sparkles music video in the season two episode “Slap Bet.” So classic!

Marshall Eriksen
His “Slapsgiving” trickery and random songs in season three prove that Jason Segel is king in the funny department as Marshall Eriksen.

Lily Aldrin
She looks sweet, but don’t piss her off. She’ll give you the “dead-to-me look” and if she doesn’t like who you’re dating, she will break you up; first evident in season four’s “The Front Porch.” (Played by Alyson Hannigan - a Buffy alum!)

Yes, Josh Radnor is the “star” and Theodore Evelyn Mosby’s future voiceovers are performed by none other than the great Bob Saget, but Ted’s cast mates seem to steal the show. Although, he has grown on me over the years, and his doppelganger (finale episode, season five) was quite incredible – I mean, a Mexican wrestler?! Who comes up with this stuff?

To find out what happens next with the funniest characters on television, don’t miss “How I Met Your Mother,” when it starts back up with the premiere of season six on Monday, September 20, 2010, on CBS at 8 pm ET.

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment